4/01/2009

Graduate Nursing School Tips

Graduate Nursing School Tips!

Here is advice from a seasoned CNS. Thanks Beth!!!

I have been an CNS for years, but am back in school for the ACNP/DNP. I have
several suggestions:

Maintain a portable calendar put all your major due dates on it -if it's
something that needs to be turned in put it on there. I usually build mine
at the first of the semester on my pda.

I also keep a weekly calendar on a desk blotter. At the first of the
semster I sit down and date thru the end of semster and put the big stuff on
it but this really for the details. As I finish labeling pages I make on
last page for course evaluation comments. This is where I write down my
weekly reading assignments so I can check off as I read. work schedule [just
a big w for work on the days I need to be there]. I can write additional
notes on this and tear off weeks as I finish and trow them away. Makes me
feel like I am accomplishing something. If I am having trouble remembering a
concept I will write it on the blotter [sometimes for several weeks] until I
get it. If I have a thought about a paper Iave to write in 3 weeks I flip
to that page and make a note [you can do this on your pda too - I go between
the too].

We use Harrisions Internal Medicine. It is very small print, concentrated
text. It takes me forever to read a page and absorb it. However, I have
found if I use a magnifying glass to read it with, I read much faster.

Find out if there are any little books you can read [and practice if
necessary] ahead of time. For instance, we had to read Dubins 12 lead EKG
[for 2 classes] and a radiology book. I had my books weeks ahead of time, but
did not go ahead and read them. My life would have been much easier if I
had taken that opportunity.

If you find a great chart as you are reading or great information, put it in
a word document and save it in a pda file. Once a month [week whatever]
upload those files to your pda. {there is a way to do it for iPhones too -
but I hear the 3.0 version of iPhone OS due out this summer will let you do
it without additional software]

If you have deep freezer, make some soups and dinners that you can put dish
into indiviual or family servings for a quick meal.

Be sure to schedule some time for yourself. Eat well, take your vitamins,
stay healthy.

Beth

Good Luck!



To inquire about these jobs visit Melnic Consulting Group or contact:

Jill Gilliland
800-886-7906
jill@melnic.com

No comments: